19/12/2023 | Press release
Rheinmetall wins follow-up order from Vienna: Austrian Army procuring more trucks – potential additional sales of over €300 million
- Austria contracts with RMMV for another lot of trucks
- Framework agreement expanded for up to 300 HX family vehicles
- Potential additional sales of over €300 million
- Austrian Army already uses TGM, TGS and HX trucks
- Part of a comprehensive military modernization programme
Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles (RMMV) has just scored another significant sales success in Austria, winning a request for tenders for a further lot of logistic vehicles for the Austrian Army. A corresponding enlargement of the existing framework agreement with Bundesbeschaffung GmbH (BGG) of Vienna, the Austrian procurement organization, envisages delivery of up to 300 trucks, primarily from the HX family of vehicles. The expanded contract for the newly won lot runs for 48 months and offers the possibility of flexible call-offs of vehicles with an aggregate value of over €300 million.
In spring 2023, Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles won all six military lots in a request for tenders for a total of 23 lots of trucks. The resulting framework contract runs for seven years and envisages delivery of up to 1,375 vehicles from RMMV’s HX, TGS and TGM series. Order volume could be as high as €525 million. For Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles, the award of an additional lot brings the framework contract volume to over €825 million.
The expansion of the framework agreement concluded just last spring forms part of a comprehensive modernization of the Austrian Army, whose “Build-up Plan 2023” calls for substantial investment in the country’s military capabilities. Improving the mobility of forces in the field is a key element of the plan, reflected in the now well-endowed BBG framework agreement.
Austrian defence minister Klaudia Tanner recently visited the RMMV plant in Vienna’s Liesing district, where she praised the work of the Viennese staff: “I’m impressed by the professionalism of the work being done here. And I’m very glad that the Austrian armed forces have such a reliable partner as RMMV at their side.”
“The expansion of the framework agreement with Rheinmetall MAN Military Vehicles GmbH is another strong sign that the Austrian Army is modernizing, but this applies all the more so to the Austrian economy”, declares Michael Wittlinger, managing director of RMMV. We’re proud not only of our Vienna plant’s contribution to Austrian value added, but also of being able to enhance the resilience, autarky and sustainment of the Austrian Army.”
The Austrian Army has been a very good customer of RMMV for many years, with vehicles from the company’s TGM, TGS und HX lines successfully in service. Under the new framework agreement, the first half of 2023 witnessed an order of 850 TGM trucks with a double cabin and swap body build-on system as well 15 HX81 armoured recovery vehicles, including an 8-axle trailer. Furthermore, HX trucks with a three-sided tipper build-on and rear crane are slated for delivery in the next few years, as are TGS 8x8 vehicles with a Palfinger hook system. At the end of 2021, moreover, the Austrian Army placed an order with RMMV for exchangeable integrated armoured cabins. These can be mounted on existing HX vehicles in very short order in line with operational requirements.
RMMV is a joint venture company in which Rheinmetall AG holds a 51% stake, with the remaining 49% held by MAN Truck & Bus SE.