105 mm Artillery Charge System ACS67
Replacement for the M67 charge with the improved charge system ACS67, fully useable in climatic zone A1.
The bag charge system M67, which is still widely used, shows enormous stability problems under humid and hot climatic conditions.
Nitrochemie has developed the ACS67 charge system using the nitroglycerine free ECL® propellant, which provides a long operational lifetime of the charge, even under hot and humid conditions.
The ECL® propellant contains no toxic components which are harmful to health according to the latest European legislation. The Artillery Charge System ACS67 can be used with the gun systems M101, M102, L119 and LG 1 and the corresponding types of projectiles.
The charge increments in form of “donut bags” provide an easier handling for the soldier, a more structured placement of the bags and a better loading of the charge in the cartridge case.
With its flat temperature/velocity profile the ACS67 is meeting the range table of the M67 charge with improved accuracy. No changes of existing range tables are necessary.
ECL® Technology for ACS 67 Charges
- The ECL® propellant is already qualified and in serial production in other calibres.
- The ECL® propellant provides a very good pressure/velocity ratio.
- The ECL® propellant offers excellent ballistic stability due to the fact that nitroglycerine is not used (no migration of blasting oil) and a lower temperature coefficient due to the use of surface coating at zone 3 to 7.
- The donut bag design allows an easy handling for the troops.
- The ECL® propellant recipe consists of non-toxic ingredients and even the health critical nitroglycerine is not used.
- Low barrel erosion due to relatively low flame temperature.
122 mm Artillery Propellants
For 122 mm artillery ammunition four different types of propellant are commonly used:
|Propellant||Technology||Geometry||For Projectile Type|
|12/1||Single base, Akardite stabilized, REACH compliant||Stick, 1-hole||Full charge ZH-9|
|4/1||Single base, Akardite stabilized, REACH compliant||Stick, 1-hole||Reduced charge ZH-10|
|12/7||Single base, Akardite stabilized, REACH compliant||Granular, 7-hole||Full charge ZH-9|
|9/7||Single base, Akardite stabilized, REACH compliant||Granular, 7-hole||Reduced charge ZH-10|
For this particular application, the strengths of our products are:
- No pressure waves due to high ballistic stability and equal ballistic performance
- Modern REACH compliant stabilizers
- At least ten years of shelf life due to high chemical stability
- Low standard deviation for velocity and pressure
- Low lot to lot variation due to high process stability in the manufacturing process
- Graphitized propellant surface to minimize risk of electrostatic charging
155 mm Artillery Modular Charge System
Interoperability with all NATO Standard 39 and 52 cal. Weapons and Ammunition configurations
The 155 mm Artillery Modular Charge System has been developed for use in all NATO standard 39 and 52 calibre gun configurations with associated projectiles complying with the Joint Ballistic Memorandum of Understanding (JBMOU).
DM82A1 low zone and the DM72/DM92 high zone modules are in service with more than 10 user countries (NATO and others) and in qualification with other customers. More than 1.5 million modules have been produced and fielded to date including operational deployment.
General Product Information
- Fully qualified with requirements of JBMOU
- Increased range to >40 km with ER projectiles
- Bi-modular charge design low zone DM82A1 and high zone DM72/92 (high stow capacity, improved logistics)
- Unique ignition booster design enables safe ignition and prevents pressure waves and negative differential pressures in all loading conditions and temperatures
- Excellent IM characteristics
- Low barrel wear, low toxicity of ingredients
- Combustion without residue
Environmental robustness under extreme conditions
Besides the proven interoperability in serval gun systems, the Nitrochemie Modular Charge System stands out for its environmental robustness and durability under extreme environmental conditions.
The extremely demanding logistic and tactical rough handling testing has been extended to include A1 hot (+ 35 to + 71 °C), C2 cold (-37 to – 46 °C) climatic cycle and thermal shock at - 51 °C and + 71 °C in metal or plastic containers (CT-NC-series).
These tests were conducted by several independent governmental authorities of NATO and non NATO users.
Insensitive Munitions Compliance
The modular charge system has been tested in accordance with the STANAG requirements for IM munitions including shaped charge attack from M777 bomblet sub-munitions and the 87mm RPG7 shaped charge. In all tests, type IV to V reactions have been demonstrated.
155 mm Artillery Bag Charges
The charge system offers zones 3 to 7 in one system. The propellant is a REACH compliant single-base type. The charge includes a de-coppering additive and ingredients to reduce muzzle flash.
Zones 3 to 7 offer different zone configurations for ideal range overlap.
Zone 3 has an integrated ignition pad and a cross-shaped propellant, which supports the ignition.
Zones 4 to 7 contain stick propellant.
Performance (M109; L39, LV 18.8 dm3 / L47, LV 20.7 dm3)
|Charge||Velocity (m/s)||Approx. Pressure (bar)|
Additional to fully assembled charges, Nitrochemie can offer charge components and propellants for bag charges such as M3A1 (Green Bag) or M119A2 (Red Bag).
Phone: +41 33 228 10 00
Fax: +41 33 228 13 30
84544 Aschau am Inn
Phone: +49 8638 68-0
Fax: +49 8638 68-247