Rheinmetall AG in mourning
This is a heartbreaking moment for Rheinmetall. On the afternoon of Monday, 3 September 2018, an explosion occurred at the Group’s RDM Somerset West plant in South Africa which claimed the lives of eight of our colleagues.
The executive board and entire staff of the Rheinmetall Group deeply mourn the loss of our dedicated colleagues. Our thoughts are with their friends and families. We are committed to taking care of these families now and in the long term.
Expert officials are already working to determine the cause of this tragic incident.
A memorial service is being held on Thursday 20 September at RDM’s premises in Somerset West.
Rheinmetall Denel Munition RF (Pty) Ltd is a joint venture company in which Rheinmetall holds a 51% share, with the remaining 49% owned by Denel SOC Ltd. of South Africa. Employing a total workforce of 2,500, the company manufactures and supplies selected munitions and explosive-related products for armed forces and law enforcement agencies in South Africa and around the world.
In Somerset West, one of five plants Rheinmetall Denel Munition operates in South Africa, some 600 employees primarily produce ammunition for military and civil applications as well as propellants. Stringent safety regulations for handling explosives are in force at all of the company’s locations, which are subject to strict, regular monitoring.
Rheinmetall AGOliver Hoffmann
Head of Press and Public Relations
Rheinmetall Platz 1
Phone: +49 211 473-4748
Fax: +49 211 473-4157